Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Bon dia!

Imagine entering a doctor’s office and greeting all of the patients in the waiting room. When people in Curacao enter a building, they wish everyone around them “bon dia,” or good day. No exchange is begun without the proper formalities and if you skip them, as Americans are wont to do, you are considered rude. Coming from the American culture of expedience, this custom sometimes struck me as labored and frustrating. I imagine that it originates from small town life, the old Curacao in which people knew the majority of others around them. While greeting people promotes friendliness and good manners, throughout my two years on the island I never quite got into the habit of saying hello to strangers that I had no real intentions of conversing with.

1 Comments:

At November 02, 2015 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No surprise here. Americans are taught insolence from birth. I do not think this was the case a few hundred years ago....when did this happen. Why do we not offer the niceties or is it because we are more about efficiency and results .... I still think politeness is a good idea.... even though that is not what I was taught. However, I think it was stressed previously in other generations....because I do remember when my dad came home once and I looked up from my work, perhaps pins were in my mouth, as I was cutting on a pattern on the floor. He got salty, rather than gently explain to me proper manners, he berided my mom for my misbreeding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home