Tuesday, August 01, 2006

La vida

The last couple of days were a bit slower and I’ve had more time to putter around my apartment. On Sunday, I spent the afternoon at the Hilton’s beach with my buddy, her sister, and my friends from Turkey. We stayed for the sunset, then met up with a colleague for dinner. We ate our meal at Rif Fort, an old fort right on the water that has been turned into a shopping complex. It was lovely.




Yesterday, we went into Punda. Wilemstaad, the capital city of Curaçao and the Netherlands Antilles, is bisected by water. One side is called Punda, and the other side is known as Otrabanda (literally, “the other side”). In Punda, we went to the movies to see Superman Returns. I was happy to know that the people of Curaçao and Hawaii share a couple of hot weather pastimes: going to the beach and the movie theater! There’s nothing like sitting in air conditioning on a sweltering day! After the movie, we went shopping and I bought some things for my apartment. The most exciting purchase was a brilliantly colored hammock that I can’t wait to hang. Then we sat on the waterfront drinking frozen lemonades. This is a hard life, I tell you.

4 Comments:

At August 02, 2006 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh maya, sounds like you really are living the life! i wanna come visit!!

 
At August 02, 2006 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAYA!!!!
It's Bet! thanks so much for the update email and for letting me know that I can find you here, yay! I'm on livejournal and most of my posts are locked to LJ users, but you can see some of them (http://rzyna.livejournal.com/). too bad we're not on the same blog service

anyway, have tons and tons of fun living it up in Curacao!!! It sounds like a lovely place and that you'll have tons of fun! Oh, and be sure to do SOME work while you're there

as for me, I've finished my MA (yay!), am currently (literally) working on my Predoctoral paper and then the next step is the PhD. Yikes!

take care! *hugs*

 
At August 02, 2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maya!

I love reading your blog...you have a very easy to read writing style...i feel like i'm there with you when I read your blogs! Keep writing...one day you might be writing books! Today has been the hottest day this summer, it's sweltering and still. Yech. So have a frozen lemonade for me...maybe I'll go look for one myself!

P.S. what's the time difference?

 
At August 02, 2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Maya García said...

Steph,
I believe the time here is 6 hours ahead of you...
And the heat! Let's just say I'm thrilled that our school is air conditioned!
me ke aloha,
Maya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home