Saturday, August 12, 2006

My new car, classes, and the ESL angels

I bought a car! At long last. It is a little Toyota Yaris, a tiny sedan, smaller than a Corolla. I bought it yesterday afternoon from a woman who works at the Toyota dealership. Unlike most every other used vehicle I looked at, this one is actually has a well-kept interior. The school I work for gives foreign hires the option of taking out a car loan with them. It is thanks to this benefit that I was able to purchase the car.

My school schedule is still getting worked out. There are 3 ESL teachers at school (including myself), and we are spending a lot of time sorting out students' schedules and testing kids to determine who needs services. While I am eager to teach, I am also nervous. Some of my colleagues are confident in my abilities and like what they know of me and have seen in the classroom thus far, but others are apprehensive of my skills and will be monitoring me. I think the lack of confidence is not so much rooted in my newness at the school, but rather, my youth.

As I mentioned earlier, there are 3 of us teaching ESL, all female. Yesterday, the joke of the day came from the school's IT coordinator who would enter our classroom/office and say, "Good morning, ESL angels," and then answer herself, in a high pitched voice, "Good morning, Charlie." I'm just glad that I'm not asked to teach in a spandex jumpsuit!

3 Comments:

At August 19, 2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah mi amor, I have such confidence in you. Nevermind youth, you have skill and love!

bises...
\carlette

 
At August 20, 2006 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What adventures! I finally had enough time to breath and catch up on your escapades. Sounds like things are off to an eventful start.
We've been teaching for almost a month and Open House was last Wednesday. Due to a lack of sleep and an over abundance of stress, I finally gave myself a day off yesterday. Admissions Day was a holiday for all of us and I spent most of it horizontal. I feel human again! Today I went out to Waialua and Haleiwa with Sadie. Passing Kua ‘Aina I thought of everyone and wondered what people were up to.
I miss everyone something awful. Stay safe and keep up the stories!
Aloha,
Melissa

 
At August 20, 2006 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maya,

pleases send me your new email address. Glad to hear you finally got your car and it is good. Good luck with your classes and adjusting to life in Curacao.

love, dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home