Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The new CEO

I mentioned that I have bought a car. What I neglected to explain was how I managed to get my insurance and registration taken care of.

There is a critical constraint regarding businesses on the island: they are open for very few hours. Some open at 8, close at noon, reopen at 2pm, and finally shut their doors at 5 or 6pm. Others are open from 8-3. Many businesses are only open from Monday through Friday, and NOTHING is open on Sunday. Well, almost nothing.

Important car-related offices are not open on weekends. I was not able to take off work for hours and get lost trying to find insurance companies. Hence, the amazing fact: in Curacao, you may hire someone to take care of all of this business for you. The man who took care of my paperwork was far more efficient than I ever would have been, and enabled me to get my work done on campus. I left that day, feeling as if I were a CEO or some other rich, important person. It’s lovely to know that there are possibilities for expediency even in systems that don’t seem to understand convenience.

2 Comments:

At August 30, 2006 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maya! This is Brittney, purveyor of Seamus, the roaming gnome!It sounds like you are getting nice and settled down in Curacao. My email is honisch@mydurango.net if you want to chat and I could send you some gnome pictures. Curacao apparently operates on "Caribbean time" (takes a little getting used to, huh?) I also have a myspace profile at http://www.myspace.com/blitzney if you would like to check that out.
Islands wishes -
brittney

 
At September 08, 2006 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maya, do you have pics of your new car? I'd love to see it! Great to hear your stories. -Steph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home