Friday, September 29, 2006

a loss

Bella the dog is no longer with us. My landlords recently returned from a month long trip. When they got home, they noticed that Bella was bleeding from her mouth. They rushed her to the vet, who confirmed their deepest fear: Bella had a recurrent cancer in her mouth. On the very day of returning from vacation, my poor landlords put their dog to sleep.

I felt horrible; I had been watching over things while they were gone and felt that this was somehow my fault. It isn't and wasn't, but I still feel that I should have done more or noticed more.

The house is quieter now. I am no longer greeted by a wagging tail, nor do I spend time coaxing an animal to come back inside the gate when I come and go. My students were saddened to learn of her passing; they had been writing stories inspired by my strange Tuesday night.

While Bella was smelly, she was without question one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. Another tail now wags in doggie heaven...

1 Comments:

At October 02, 2006 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maya,
This is Brittney, from the airport, toting the lovely gnome Seamus. If you would like to reach me, my email is honisch@mydurango.net I also have a myspace profile at http://www.myspace.com/blitzney
I am very sorry to hear about Bella. The loss of a pet can be heartwrenching.... a loss of a wonderful familiarity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home